Wednesday, December 21, 2011

POLL: Do people who have communicable illnesses have an obligation to avoid public areas

POLL: Do people who have communicable illnesses have an obligation to avoid public areas?
I'm sitting in the Delta Sky Club in Memphis awaiting a delayed flight connection. On the opposite side of a room is sitting a guy who clearly has some kind of respiratory illness. I don't know if it's communicable or not, but I don't appreciate him sharing his germs by coughing into the open air every few minutes. Which brings me to my question. If you are sick, do you have a responsibility to avoid public areas (and public transit, such as airplanes, trains, buses, etc), or is it your right to use them anyway and instead is it the responsibility of other travelers to protect themselves from your germs? What say all of you?
Infectious Diseases - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think they have the right to spread their germs, be it responsible or not. If you're worried about getting sick in a public place, then wear one of those hospital masks.....seriously, I had to when "I" was sick so I didn't get other's germs....it was for MY sake, not theirs....but my illness was not communicable. so I guess it would all depend on your view of things....either you think it's rude and irresponsible for people to cough in public or you don't. In any case, have a hand disinfectant along with you at all times so you can use it when opening public doors or touch things that might be "infected." Just a precaution!!!! Good luck to you!!!
2 :
Unfortunately, sick people have no legal or moral obligation to avoid public places. But you cannot armchair diagnose those you see. I have respiratory allergies, for example, that cause itching in my throat. I often cough but there's no infection communicable or otherwise. My point is, you can't always tell if what you see and hear is communicable or not. But be glad he's on the OTHER side of the room. Those who make no effort to control or cover a cough are rude and thoughtless but you can avoid potential problems by keeping your distance. On the other hand, there are times when sick people HAVE to travel -- it just can't be avoided. The man you were looking at may be on a business trip that he simply couldn't reschedule much as he may have wanted to. You could be in his position some day, you know. As for other forms of public transportation, many people are too poor to stay home when sick. They just can't afford to miss work. They may not have benefits like sick days and paid-time-off, the way that I do or that you may have. Two or three missed days at work may mean the difference between food on the table and going hungry, or a roof over the family's head and eviction. You just never know. So, try to give people the benefit of a doubt and take steps to protect yourself.

Search News