Saturday, July 7, 2012

Will one airline piggyback on another when reassigning people who have missed their connecting flights

Will one airline piggyback on another when reassigning people who have missed their connecting flights?
So I'm flying out west with a layover in Memphis--where I've never been, and I really want to see Graceland. The layover's only 30 minutes, so there's a good chance I'll miss the connection on account of, you know, being me. Now, if my airline carrier (Northwest) only reassigns people onto other Northwest flights, I'm gold--the flight after mine won't leave for hours, and I'll have time to get out of the airport. But if airlines do things like ask other carriers, 'hey, will you take my passenger,' then I'm screwed. Anyone know which way it works? Thanks :)
Air Travel - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It depends on a few factors : 1). First and foremost - check your ticket. Most of the times, you are going to have to pay to get onto the next flight (not the full fare, but a small fee). 2). The loads on the next flight - if the next flight is full then you are probably going to get bumped to the next available flight. Which could equate to you being there for quite some time. 3). What other airlines operate the route - for the most part, airlines try to avoid using other airlines to get their passengers to their destiantions. But, if the other fligh out tends to be another codeshare partner (such as an alliance partner, or a flight operated on behalf of the mainline carrier) then you have a better chance of being put on that flight rather than waiting. So - if you your scheduled flight - go to a gate/check-in agent and explain your sittutation. You are probably going to have to pay a fee, but explain that you are in no hurry to hop on the next plane. More often that not - you are going to be put onto the same airline's next flight to your destinaton. It is uncommon to be put onto another airline, but I have seen it done.
2 :
When it's the airline's fault that you missed your connecting flight, they will first ask you if you will be able to take their next flight out to your destination, as they want to keep your business. Sometimes, though, they may not have another flight out that day, or their next flight might be in 10 hours, which might not be acceptable to you if you're in a hurry. If waiting is not an option, they will then have to try to find another carrier (with a flight leaving sooner) on which to "endorse" your ticket. You will be transferred to that airline, at your original airline's expense, even if there's a difference in fare. They will print out a new boarding pass for you and you'll fly with the new airline. For example, on my way home to Washington D.C. from a vacation in India, my plane was delayed in India by two hours due to technical difficulties. When I arrived in London, where I had my layover, by the time I cleared security, my connecting flight to D.C. had already left. This was, of course, my airline's fault, so I went to Customer Service and explained what had happened. British Airways then offered me a flight the next day, with an overnight stay in London at their expense, but I had to get back immediately so I declined. They then told me that Virgin Atlantic had a flight available that departed in two hours so I accepted that and they endorsed my ticket on Virgin. I wasn't asked to pay anything and I boarded the flight and got home on time :) Good luck!
3 :
If you purposely miss your connection because you left the airport to visit Graceland the airline doesn't have to do a thing for you. If you miss your connection because your flight was delayed and you couldn't make your connection in time, then, yes, the airline will find a way to get you to your final destination either on a later flight or another airline. My advice is to resist the temptation to see Graceland and make sure you get to your connecting flight. Why risk not getting to your final destination when you can visit Graceland another time?

Search News