Sunday, May 1, 2011

Downtown Aviation in Memphis TN

Downtown Aviation in Memphis TN?
I have my eyes on Spartan College but ran across Downtown Aviation. I just need some info on it if you have taken courses there. Im real hesitant when it comes to local flight schools. I dont want to fritter my money away to a school that wasnt worth my time and money.
Aircraft - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Spartan is a very old and respected name in aviation BUT it will cost you more to get your ratings there than at Downtown Aviation. If you're going to enroll in the degree program at Spartan, that's one thing, but if you're just going for flight training I'd choose DA. I've been to Memphis many times as a corporate pilot and have used their maintenance services. Nice folks to do business with and they really seem to care about their customers. Spartan and similar "pilot mills" are very stressful environments and you won't get treated like a member of the family like you will at DA. I don't think you'll waste your money at DA especially since they have a designated examiner on staff (which is rather unusual for a smaller flight school) plus they have some very experienced pilots on staff, and you can do some tailwheel and aerobatic training which I highly recommend. No matter where you choose to go, you're well-advised to visit and look things over before putting any money down. Personally, I like Memphis. If you happen to like music and a little nightlife it's a great town. Tulsa is OK, but a bit bland for my taste. I'd give DA a closer look. If you're looking for a degree program, take a look at this school. I know a fgew people that have gone there and were very happy with it. http://www.bigbendaviation.com/ It's also quite affordable as aviation colleges go.
2 :
I agree about the pilot mills, visit several schools and instructors and make an informed decision. The best thing to do is pay as you go.. Don't borrow a lot of money and give it all to one place at once. best of luck

Search News