Monday, November 7, 2011

Where do I clear U.S. Customs on return from MoBay

Where do I clear U.S. Customs on return from MoBay?
I'm getting conflicting info on where I clear Customs on my return flight from Montego Bay to Memphis. Is there U.S.Customs clearance in Sangster International, or will I clear in Memphis? Please, I'd like to hear from people who've made the trip recently, and really know. Thanks, but the first answer is precisely what I want to avoid. Please, if you've flown out of MoBay to the US recently, let me know where you cleared.
Jamaica - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I doubt very much that they have a US customs in Jamaica. That will be in Memphis since that is where you are getting off.
2 :
You will clear US customs once you get off the plane in the US. They are located in the international terminal. If your flight has another leg you will have to recheck your luggage at the proper terminal once you clear customs. *Be prepared to wait in line for 5 minutes- over an hour since they don't always have a ton of staff on duty.
3 :
I am also going to make this journey in a couple months from MoBay to Memphis. Everything I have read states that you will go through customs when you get into the states. I am changing planes in Miami and that is where we will clear customs
4 :
You will clear U.S. Customs at your first point of entry into the USA. There is no U.S. Customs clearance in Jamaica.
5 :
There is customs at two points, 1. Jamaican Customs, when leaving Montego Bay. This is usually just procedural, with no real searches unless they suspect you are carrying drugs. You might also face 'random' searches prior to boarding the airplane. 2. U.S. Customs at the first point of entry into the U.S.A., for a memphis flight, this is usually miami, fort lauderdale or atlanta.

Search News