Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What should I do while waiting for layover flights

What should I do while waiting for layover flights?
I'm going on a trip to Europe next month. I have my flight itinerary which is as follows: Departure from home: Memphis to Chicago--->Chicago to Frankfurt--->Frankfurt to Rome Departure from Europe: Paris to Newark--->Newark to Memphis Each layover is scheduled to be between 2 1/2 and 3 hours. I know I probably will not be able to leave the layover airport, nor would I want to sacrifice missing my plane. However, while I am in those citys' airports, is there anything I could do to somewhat explore the city (like an observation area at the airport or something of that nature)? Thanks!
Air Travel - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You will NOT have time enough to consider leaving the airports between legs of your flights! The closest thing you can do about "local culture" would be to purchase a local newspaper in the airports.
2 :
Frankfurt is a very large airport. When you arrive there, you'll need to go through passport control and then security to get into the portion of the airport where the Schengen flights (including the one to Rome) leave from. There are some restaurants and shops depending on which section the Rome flight leaves from. If you're in one of the B gates, there's very little there other than a couple of snack bars and a duty free shop, If your flight leaves from an A gate, then there will be more food choices and shops. The airport is a long way out of the city. 2.5 to 3 hours gives you a lot of time to get to your gate, have something to eat and look around a bit. There really isn't any way to see the city though.
3 :
You don't want to leave the airport with a connection of only a few hours. The reason is that you will have to go through security again. The only time you will be able to "explore" the city is when you are flying over it during take-off and landing. Sometimes airports have restaurants there that serve food that the city is known for.

Search News